Tuesday, January 1, 2008

2008 is Here!

It’s New Year’s Resolution time! Happy! Happy! Happy New Year! After all these years of making and breaking New Year’s resolutions, I’ve resolved there should only be two resolutions. (1) Follow the Spirit. (2) Enjoy doing it!
I was raised by a very goal oriented father. He read every Positive-Mental-Attitude and Choose-Your-Own-Destiny book out there and then he would leave them on my bed for me to read. They shaped my character, but I’ve come to realize that often my own goals get in the way of what the Lord is trying to do for me. When I let go of what (I think) I want, it is much easier to listen to the Spirit and to let the Spirit guide me.
The next goal is to enjoy what comes. Happiness is a choice. I choose to enjoy the cold or to hate it. I choose to enjoy the task at hand or to dread it. It’s a lot more fun to enjoy! So I’m simplifying this year! Only two goals. I think perhaps that’s the secret the Nephite’s understood that allowed them to live “after the manner of happiness” (2 Ne 5:27).

2 comments:

Amy Grigg said...

This is why I love you. You make everything so simple and beautiful. I'm so sick of New Year's Resolutions--I'm adopting these two!

Wendi said...

My mom is Cherie Garr. I found your blog address underneath your name on one of her e-mails as I was helping her organize her account today (5.22.08).

We have the same blog design as you do. Our family's is called "Enjoy the Journey".

Anyway, as I was glancing over the titles of your posts, I decided I wanted to start over at the beginning. I hope you don't mind. I need some good inspiration right now. :) This post is just what I've been thinking about over the last couple of weeks. Thanks for sharing your talents. :)