Thursday, March 12, 2009

I'm Watching for Miracles

This healing process is amazing to me. Every time I look in the mirror, I marvel. Just think. Two short months ago doctors cut into my skull, moved aside my brain, and stuck instruments into my orbital cavity to cut extraneous tissue off my optic nerve. And now all that remains of that invasive procedure is a thin white “C” on my scalp. Hair is growing (It’s over an inch long now!) to cover the bald spot and I am recovered. It is absolutely miraculous to think about the healing that has occurred in two months time. I can’t get over the miracle it is.

As Alma taught, “All things denote there is a God” (Alma 30:44). What I’ve discovered is that even some of the traumatic things we endure “denote there is a God.” Or maybe I should say, especially some of the traumatic things we endure “denote there is a God.”

Watching for these miracles of life is one of the best strategies we can adopt to help us overcome the negative aspects of telestial living. And right now is one of the best times to hone that habit here in the Northern Hemisphere of the world because miracles are happening all around us. Crocus are pushing out of the dark earth. Just think about the miracle that is! From tiny bulbs that have been buried for almost a year, suddenly beauty and color burst forth. And why? They serve no other purpose than to give you and I joy. The daffodil leaves have appeared and soon the yellow trumpets will appear. The tulips are next and then a profusion of fruits and vegetables. It’s a miracle! A gift from God.

This experience with Grizelda has been one of the best things that ever happened to me. Part of the reason is because of all the miracles, but most of the reason is because of all I have learned. God loves us so much He sends us daily gifts. We just need to watch for them.

4 comments:

Connie said...

I just love coming here for a daily "lesson"...so while you are not in the classroom at the moment you are still teaching! and using a much larger classroom :)

Sherrie Mills Johnson said...

Oh Connie, thank you! I've missed the interaction with my students sooo much. Your words were encouraging, but even more than that I love the interaction!!!! Thanks for your comments. It is nice to know someone is on the other end of this.

Wendi said...

I'm so thankful for this miracle that has occurred in your life. Thank you so much for sharing what you've learned along the way. I agree with Connie--you are the best teacher I've ever had. And I love your blog classroom. :)

P.S. I sent you a copy of my talk. I mentioned you and your blog and the miracle of you overcoming the trial with Grizelda twice in it. Thanks for your permission. :)

Sherrie Mills Johnson said...

Wendi, Thank you once again! I'm glad your talk went well.