Thursday, March 5, 2009

Anchoring Yourself

So how do we rid ourselves of unnecessary pain? Over the next few posts we’ll explore some of the things that help. The one I use the most is anchoring. I’ve talked about this before, but anchoring is accomplished by zeroing in on the present moment. Use all your senses to feel, smell, hear, see, and taste the present. Don’t let any stories of the past or worries about the future play in your head. Just Anchor yourself in the present moment. Stop and do it right now and see what happens.

I’ve done this with several groups I’ve spoken to and am amazed that every time I’ve done it the response to what they experienced while anchoring is always the same. In the present moment there is always peace, contentment, happiness, gratitude, love, and hope.

I’ve pondered on this a lot, and I think the reason these wonderful positive things are always there is because the Spirit of Truth always works in the present. In scripture, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost are all called the Spirit of Truth and as we Anchor ourselves in the present we make ourselves available to them. The present is where they can be found and where they can nurture and love us. When we are living our lives by stressing over the past or fretting about the future, we miss the positive gifts they are trying to give us.

So Anchor yourself whenever you feel the anger coming on and see what happens!

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Hi Sherrie,
I've been reading your blog lately and it has reminded me of being a Laurel again, being taught by your great wisdom. It reminds me of how much I loved sitting at your feet and seeing the gospel in a whole new light as you taught us truth. And it reminds me of writing in those journals you gave us. There are lessons you taught me then that come to my mind and my heart often.
These thoughts about truth have come at just the right time for me. What you have written have been answers to my prayers! Thank you so much for being willing to share what you know with me!
~Jenny Paget Hurst

Wendi said...

I have really appreciated learning this concept from you. Thanks! :)

Sherrie Mills Johnson said...

Jenny, How wonderful to hear from you! You were always an eager student. I also think often of those days we spent together in YW! Thank you for the kind words and I hope all is going well with you! You are wonderful!

Sherrie Mills Johnson said...

Wendi, Anchoring has really made a difference in my life. So much so that it is surprising to me. I like the present!!!!