Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Building Our Children's Strengths

Before I leave the subject of building on strengths, I have to say one more thing. One of the best things to do for your children is identify their strengths and help them develop in those areas. A lot of problems can be avoided if we know our children’s strengths and then encourage them. Too often we push them in directions of our own strengths thinking that this is what makes us happy so of course it will make them happy also. But that isn’t always true.
One of my daughters is a nurse–something I never could have been. It has been a delight to watch her develop in the medical field. She loves medicine and loves caring and helping others. Right now she is a full time mom, but when the time is right, she will return to nursing because it is one of her strengths and she loves it. I shudder to think of what would have happened if I had dissuaded her or insisted she follow a course I would have prescribed.
On the same web site as I wrote about last time, www.authentichappiness.com, there is a test for children to take so that parents can know what their children’s strengths are and then help them develop in those areas. It is very interesting to see how different each of your children are and to more fully recognize their individuality. It is also interesting to see how when you taylor your parenting to the child’s strengths special bonding moments occur. You enter their realm and build on a foundation that is already in place. I don’t have words to express all that happens, but when you help your children develop into their own selves instead of trying to make them into a little “you,” it brings a joy and dimension to parenting that is extremely rewarding
Take the test yourself. Give the test to your children and let me know what you think!

No comments: