Tuesday, September 15, 2009

We Can Do It!

We all love Nephi for his fortitude and conviction. We believe him when he says, “If God had commanded me to do all things I could do them” (1 Nephi 17:50). But for some reason we don’t always translate that into our own lives. We think, “Sure Nephi can do all he is commanded to do, but that doesn’t work for me!” We are told to repent, but we think it will be too hard or too embarrassing. We are told to do our very best to fulfill our Church callings, but we get distracted and don’t spend as much time as we should at our calling. In short, we don’t trust that God will help us do all that is required of us.

Nephi goes on to say, “If [God] should command me that I should say unto this water, be thou earth, it should be earth; and if I should say it, it would be done.” We read this and think it is hyperbole, but it is not. Whatever God commands, is achievable not because we are so capable or strong or wonderful, but because Jesus Christ is an He will help us.

Whatever challenge, problem, or worry we are facing, there is a solution. Whatever we need to repent of, we can do it. Whatever we are called to do, we can do it. Like Nephi we just need to trust in the Lord and then tell ourselves, “I can do it.”

2 comments:

Wendi said...

I love the picture you chose for this post. I'm going to use that as my new mantra: "With Christ's help, I can do it!" :)

Sherrie Mills Johnson said...

Wendi, Good mantra! It is true!