Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Learning to Walk


When you watch a toddler learning to walk you notice the way he stumbles and falls, but at the same time in the back of your mind is a knowledge that this tripping and teetering is only temporary. You don’t look at the child and think “How terrible! This poor little thing is handicapped!” Often we even laugh right out loud at the awkward attempts and the stumbling which also testifies we know this is a temporary way to walk. We would never laugh if we thought this is how the child would always walk. No, we laugh because we know that within a few months the child will be running without the awkward flapping of arms and struggle to keep balanced. We watch the child with eyes that not only see what is, but eyes that know what will be.

That’s how God looks at us.

So why do we get so upset at ourselves, feel overwhelmed, and consider giving up as we learn to walk the path of righteousness? Yes, we stumble and sometimes we fall, but God looks at us like we look at the toddler. He sees what we are and He sees what we will be. He's as patient with us as we are with toddlers. He doesn't expect us to run the first time He stands us on our spiritual feet.

All we need to do is trust in Him, get back up when we fall, and continue on the path.

8 comments:

Wendi said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! This is just what I needed to hear today. I appreciate Elder Maxwell's Words of Encouragement on your sidebar. And this week's affirmation reminds me of George Durrant--he always used to say that when asked how he was doing. Maybe he still does. I appreciate your blog more than you'll ever know. Thanks for always posting such uplifting principles! :)

campbell said...

I also have to say I love this week's affirmation. It remind me of what Zachary taught me when he first went out on his mission. He said I don't have good days, I have great ones! I try to use that one often too.

Sherrie Mills Johnson said...

Wendi, I'm glad this struck a resonant cord for you today! I love you!

Sherrie Mills Johnson said...

Laresa, Isn't it amazing what our children teach us!!!!

dani said...

Tony Robbins used the example of a child learning to walk to teach persistence. He said something to the affect of "How many times do you let a child fall down before you stop them from trying to learn to walk? Of course, as many times as it takes!" Then he said it should be the same for us, that we keep trying until we succeed.
You mentioned a book Light in the Wilderness by Catherine Thomas, am I close on the author and title, because I can't find it?

Sherrie Mills Johnson said...

Dani, Thanks for adding the Robbins quote. I like it. And yes, you do have the correct title (Expect the article "A" begins the title) and author. Have you tried the BYU Bookstore? or Amazon? I can't remember where I got mine from, but usually it is those two places.

Barb Elder said...

Wow great insight. Thanks again Sherri I loved it!!

Sherrie Mills Johnson said...

Barb, Thank you! When I start to come down too hard on myself and remember I'm just learning. It helps a lot!