Saturday, June 27, 2009

Traveling Memory Lane


I went to lunch this week with a dear friend I’ve known since I was about three years old. Until we were nine and my parents moved, we were inseparable. I haven’t seen her in a long time, and it was so fun to visit and catch up on everything. Ever since our visit, I’ve been inundated with memories of the many things we did together—all of them warm wonderful experiences. I went on many trips with her and her family. Her parents were like second parents to me. We spent hours and hours together baking, making costumes out of crepe paper, swimming, putting on circuses, climbing trees, picnicking, and sailing cucumber boats down the irrigation ditches.

I can’t believe how wonderful the last few days have been because of all these memories. It made me realize that we need to spend more time thinking about the good things of life. We read the newspapers and hear the TV news which not only are depressing themselves, but they make us remember all the bad in our lives. Instead we need to place things around us and do things, like getting together with old friends, that constantly remind us of all the good in life.

Remembering the good is like putting gas in your car. It facilitates your travel down the road of life.

1 comment:

Wendi said...

Thanks for sharing this. I rarely watch or read the news. But I'm a big believer in keeping in touch with friends--old and new. You're definitely onto something with this post. :)