Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy Independence Day!


I hope you have the best Independence Day ever! It was my favorite holiday growing up because it lasted all day long. This holiday is celebrated big in most of Utah. Sirens have been going off all morning. Air Force jets do a formation fly by and there is a huge parade. I’m not much of a parade person so I’m not going, but it is a long beautiful parade. Tonight on the football field at Brigham Young University (it holds 63,000 people) a sell out crowd will watch the Jonas Brothers and SHeDAISY and a number of Patriotic things including people parachuting out of planes with flags and red, white, and blue will be everywhere. It ends with a half-hour of fireworks that will light the night sky. I do like fireworks so we will find a place on the mountainside where we can watch.

I don’t know what your town does to celebrate this important occasion, but I hope you have a wonderful day and where ever you are celebrate. We can’t take our freedom for granted. Today is a day to thank God that we live in a land of liberty.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I second the motion, I love the 4th. It is the happy part of being an American. Even tributes to fallen soldiers have a sense of gratitude and joy to serve and live in our free land. I also love listening to my grandkids, who are starting to be old enough to understand what it is all about. Their excitement and happy chatter about each part of the day as they anticipate what they will be doing next makes me really happy. Everything from early morning flag ceremonies, to carnivals, parades, watermelon and water fights ending with bigger than life fireworks evokes true joy and wonder, which I hope they will carry through their whole lives. Have a wonderful day and enjoy the pride of being an American. xoxoxo
Cathie

Sherrie Mills Johnson said...

Cathie, Thanks! You brought back a lot of memories of the old Centerville days!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, the 4th of July celebrations in Centerville were the very best. Nothing but happy memories from then, free to do all the fun things surrounded by family and friends. Thanks for reminding me. :)
Cathie