Thursday, July 2, 2009

Leaving Illusion

Illusion: Old Woman or Young? Which Do You See?

As you remember, the opposite of Living in Truth is Living in Illusion. For those new to these pages, let me remind you of the definition of Truth. Truth is “Knowledge of things as they are, and as they were, and as they are to come” (D&C 93:24). Things as they as means verity or reality. So once something has occurred, it is truth. The truth is that yesterday there was a car crash, but if instead of dealing with that truth we begin to think, “It shouldn’t have happened. Why did God let this happen? The driver should have been more careful.” You suddenly shift from dealing with what is, the verity of the situation, to the realm of Illusion.

Once in the realm of Illusion we always experience anger and fear. In addition, the realm of Illusion constantly needs to be defended because it is not real. Truth stands on its own, but Illusion needs to be reaffirmed and reexamined and rejuvenated. It takes a lot of work to maintain Illusion. There is no work in maintaining truth. Truth maintains itself.

There is great peace in letting go of Illusion and living in peace. I’ve talked about a lot of Truth Tools in these pages. These Tools are strategies to help us let go of Illusion and Live in Truth. I don’t I don’t have a monopoly on Truth Tools. What are some of the ways you move from the realm of Illusion back into Truth? I love to hear how you do it. Tell me how the Truth Tools have worked for you or tell me other Tools you have found useful.

4 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wendi said...

I asked my husband for a Priesthood blessing yesterday. It helped me to feel the love of the Savior and our Heavenly Father more fully than I had previously. I was able to move forward with the things I needed to do, instead of feeling discouraged. I feel like Priesthood blessings and prayer are a great way to stay in the realm of Truth. :)

Sherrie Mills Johnson said...

Wendi, Excellent! Prayer is a powerful tool to help us Live in Truth. Thanks for sharing.

Martha said...

I often reread 2Nephi 4 to help myself get back on track...I love the way Nephi talks himself out of the "realm of illusion" (O wretched man that I am!) by remembering the many ways that God has been his support. And then by recognizing the adversary's negative influence in his life and deliberately choosing to ignore it and rejoice, and trust in the Lord! (Rejoice, O my heart and cry unto the Lord...I will not put my trust in the arm of flesh...etc.)