Monday, July 20, 2009

Persistence Power

Growing up my mother used to tell me the story of the little train pulling a large load at a time of crisis who accomplished the task by saying, “I think I can. I think I can. I think I can.” The little train saved the day and did what the large trains failed to do. Mother used the story to illustrate the importance of positive thinking. That’s great, but it is also an important lesson in the power of persistence.

We don’t usually think of persistence as a gospel principle, but it is.

After the Lord confounds the language of the people at the time of the Tower of Babel, we are told that the Jaradites are led to a new home. As the Lord tells the Brother of Jared about the Promised Land He is leading them to, he says, “And there will I bless thee and thy seed, and raise up unto me of thy seed, and of the seed of thy brother, and they who shall go with thee, a great nation. And there shall be none greater than the nation which I will raise up unto me of thy seed, upon all the face of the earth. And thus I will do unto thee because this long time ye have cried unto me” (Ether 1:43). For some reason, in some circumstances, the Lord wants us to persist in our prayers and pleadings.

So what does that mean? It means we shouldn’t get discouraged because our prayers aren’t answered immediately. It means we shouldn’t give up praying for things we need or want just because our prayer hasn’t been answered yet. It means that there is something important for us to learn by being persistent in our prayers. And who know what else there may be to learn from this. In short, it means, hang in there! Who knows what great blessings are ahead!

8 comments:

Wendi said...

Thanks, Sherrie. I love this post. :) My dad always used to call it "stick-to-it-iveness" and the "realm of the final inch". :)

Martha said...

So often the posts you write have such perfect timing for me...how do you do that??? :)
Thank you.

Sherrie Mills Johnson said...

Wendi, I like both of those, but especially I like the "realm of the final inch." I've never heard that one before. Thanks for sharing.

Sherrie Mills Johnson said...

Martha, Thank you so much for the kind words, but I don't think it's me that does it!

Anita said...

Over the past year or so, I have also learned that sometimes the Lord doesn't answer immediately because the timing isn't perfect yet. And when we trust in his timetable, it's so much better!

Sherrie Mills Johnson said...

Anita, Thanks for adding that thought. It is so true! It is always better His way!

Anonymous said...

I told ya'll, she writes for the Lord!! His timing is perfect & she always writes the best words of encouragment at all the right times :o) Thanks!! <3 Rachel Rebecca

Sherrie Mills Johnson said...

Rachel, Thank you for the kind words. I hope you and others find encouragement here! That's what the gospel (the Greek word for gospel means Good News!) is all about.