Saturday, July 31, 2010

On the Way Home

This picture says Knowth, but it is really Newgrange.
As you've noticed I didn't have Internet access this week and I only have a few minutes now. But I can't wait to tell you all about my week. The south of Ireland is as magical as the north. We stayed in a little cottage on a mountain side surrounded by fields of sheep. I have never seen a more picturesque sight in my life.

These are some of the satellite mounds around Knowth
Today is a big travel day. We leave from Dublin land in New York, have a layover, and then go on to Salt Lake City. I am tired, but the great blessing has been that my foot has held up with all this walking and I've had the energy to do everything I wanted to do. It is an absolute miracle and I am so grateful.

Yesterday we saw Newgrange and Knowth. These are just north of Dublin and are two of three ancient sites (older than the Egyptian pyramids in Giza) that have been found and preserved. Newgrange was built so that at the winter solstice the sun shines through a narrow passage into the center of the huge mound and for 17 minutes illuminates it. There are many interpretations of why these Megalithic people built these mounds, but I don't think any of them come close to the truth.

Me at O'Niel's
We also saw the book of Kells yesterday, but I'll have to tell you about that incredible book later. The battery on the computer is about to run out and I left the adapter in the cottage so we can't plug it in. I do have to share one more thing. The best food in Ireland is found at the pubs and for our last night in Ireland we found the most delightful old pub with the best food. It finished off our adventure with a touch of historic magic and delight.

1 comment:

Wendi said...

I'm thankful to hear that your energy and foot have held up through your travels. Hope you have a safe and uneventful flight home. :)