Saturday, July 3, 2010

The Preacher Says to Rejoice

We’ve been talking about how rejoicing and being happy is a commandment and this morning I found an interesting verse about that. In Ecclesiastes 3:12-13 (Ecclesiastes means “preacher”) it says, “I know that there is no good in them, but for a man to rejoice, and to do good in his life. And also that every man should eat and drink, and enjoy the good of all his labour, it is the gift of God.”

So the advice from the Preacher is that there is no good except to rejoice and to do good, and that we should enjoy the fruits of our labors. The ability to enjoy is one of the gifts God has given us! I like that, and it is a great reminder as we go into this Fourth of July weekend. God wants us to celebrate and to rejoice and enjoy.

So while I’m watching fireworks and enjoying the holiday besides rejoicing over our freedom and our country, I’m going to rejoice in a God who wants me to be happy.

Happy Fourth of July everyone!

1 comment:

Wendi said...

Hope you had a great holiday weekend! :)