Monday, February 9, 2009

My Imperfect "C"

I have to admit that during the announcements at Sacrament meeting yesterday, I had a difficult time concentrating. I was looking at all the heads in front of me and thinking about which men had hair shorter than mine. There were only two that I could find. That was a little discouraging but maybe someone will get a haircut this week so that I can find three or four next week. I am thankful the speakers were very good or I may have counted through the whole meeting!

Several scriptures have also taken on new meaning for me. I used to read that “there shall not so much as a hair of their heads be lost” (Alma 11:44) in a rather cursory way. But now it has great significance. The bald “C” on my head won’t always be there because “every thing shall be restored to its perfect frame.” What a wonderful promise that is.

Every time I look at my bald “C” I am reminded of that promise and I want to shout “Hallelujah!!” My “C” is temporary, and until every hair of my head is restored, it will remind me of the Person who made it temporary, Jesus Christ. I hope you are also blessed with something that daily reminds you of our Savior. Otherwise the daily hustle and bustle make it is so easy to forget the promises He has given us.

4 comments:

Wendi said...

I'm glad to hear that even you get distracted during sacrament meeting sometimes! :) I'm also glad that you're able to remember the Atonement when you see your scar. However, I'm sorry that it's there in the first place and I hope that your hair will eventually grow to cover it like you hope. There are definitely other ways you can remember the Atonement. Hang in there as you're waiting and healing. I know you will. :)

Sherrie Mills Johnson said...

Wendi, I'm hanging! In many ways it is nice. Like I say, the scar is a constant reminder of the One who heals. I like that.

Rick and Janet said...

Sherri, Hello from some old friends in WB. We were having a family get-to-gether and I remembered Kim's (Caldwell/Keller) link to your blog. I forgot that your birthday was on my youngest son, Brian's, day. Interestingly, he is also marked with a scalpal "C" from falling out of a tree when he was in first grade. I never noticed baldness before either... now it is the joy of my everyday. It's a new experience to trim my husband's mostly bald head because he thinks it is getting too long. You are great lengths ahead of him, or whatever he would hope to be. Seriously, we are greatful for your continued recovery. Many of us heard shortly after your surgery because Carl spoke to someone in the ward. I believe we have all had a prayer in our hearts for you. Personally, I appreciate the influence you have had in my life and several of my children's. So, live on, shout "Hallelujah" and Happy Birthday.

Sherrie Mills Johnson said...

Ricknlee, Thank you so much for the birthday greeting. And especially for the prayers. I know that it was the prayers of many that brought about the miracles. God bless you!