Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Way

In the New Testament the teachings of Jesus aren’t called Christianity, the gospel, the Church, or any other designation we refer to them as today. Instead His teachings were simply called “the way.” When blind Bartimaeus was given sight by the Lord, we are told that he then “followed Jesus in the way” (Mark 10:52).

I love this description. It isn’t A way to go, but it is THE way to go. It conjures up in my mind a mental picture of a well defined path that is worn because many have traveled it before. Those who have traveled this path are no less than people such as Abraham and Sarah, Isaac and Rebekah, Jacob, Rachel and Leah, Joseph and Emma, and the greatest of all, Jesus Christ himself. There is a certain security that comes from knowing you are on a path worn hard and smooth by such people.

When I think about the way in this manner, it is less tempting to consider taking a purported short-cut through the bush or even a cut-off that is touted as leading to pleasure and fun. The way that is worn smooth and well defined by apostles and prophets looks good to me. I like the idea of “following Jesus in the way.”

2 comments:

Wendi said...

I was just talking about this to my mom today. There is security and peace in following the counsel of the prophets. And THE way sounds so much more secure than A way--especially when it's Jesus' way. Thanks for this post, Sherrie. :)

Sherrie Mills Johnson said...

Wendi, I like the sound of security and peace, also! Thanks for you comments.