Monday, April 6, 2009

Living in Peace

Each day I learn a little more about what it means to live in truth. I am grateful for that. Whenever I find myself spinning negative stories, I learn a little more about how to stop the storytelling and make my life freer. I’m discovering that it isn’t just the big situations that cause me to write negative stories. It seems to be more a habit I’ve developed over the years of writing negative stories about everything.

As I work at writing positive stories for the little situations in life I find that more and more the big things take care of themselves. For example: a telephone call takes longer that I thought and makes me late for an appointment. A little thing! But I used to spin a negative story, turn grumpy, stressed and uptight. Those feelings then “poisoned” everything else I did the rest of the day. But now I spin a positive story—“It doesn’t matter.” “I needed to make that call, and it was time well spent”—I stay calm, in a good mood, no “poison” and I’ve practiced spinning positive stories so that in the next big crisis, I’m better able to write a positive story and handle the situation without making myself upset. It is a great way to live!

Maybe this is why truth and peace are so often associated in the scriptures. As Zechariah says, “Love the truth and peace” (Zechariah 8:19). When we live in truth, we live in peace.

7 comments:

Jenny said...

I had an experience with this tonight. We took our boys to the Library to play. Usually any time in public with my kids stresses me out because of all the stories I write about what people are thinking about me as a mom because my kids are out of control. But I stayed calm and made positive stories about my kids and didn't sweat the small stuff, and my kids and I did really well!
My were well behaved and I really enjoyed that time with them. I know my positive, peaceful frame of mind helped my kids stay calm too.

Sherrie Mills Johnson said...

Jenny, Thanks for sharing your experience. Writing a positive story really does help! I wish I'd learned this when I was younger!

Anonymous said...

I agree. I realize all the things I stressed about that affected my ability to keep a positive attitude actually didn't matter in the big picture. I have wonderful children who really weren't that difficult to raise and I'm sure I would have enjoyed all the time spent with them much more if I had kept the negative stuff out of my mind and concentrated on the positive stories more. None of the stuff I stressed over (like the thought of out of control adults in stores and college campuses if they didn't learn to behave in public :)) ever came to pass. They outgrew each child phase, each out of control moment and are wonderful adults with kids of their own. I too, wish I knew then what I know now. I find I am much more positive thinking with the grandchildren and am not stressed by their childish antics. I love every moment spent with them.
Cathie

Wendi said...

Thanks for sharing these neat concepts for coping, Sherrie. You're making our generation better by sharing these truths you've learned along the way. :)

Sherrie Mills Johnson said...

Cathie, Isn't it sad that we can't be grandmothers first! Things are so much easier! And as you say, we just don't stress as much!

Sherrie Mills Johnson said...

Wendi, Thanks you. I just wish I had know more of these things when I was younger!

Chrystal said...

Wow - - this example is a perfect snipped of my life! How often have I done that - spun a little poisoned web creating a grumpy atmosphere because of my choice to be irritated! THANKS - I CAN choose to stay calm and 're-write' it as time well spent!