Friday, April 10, 2009

Saul

After the Crucifixion of Jesus Christ, the Christian Church began to attract more and more converts. It also began to attract more persecution. One of the vigilant persecutors was a man named Saul who diligently sought to kill and punish Christians. But on his way to Damascus to further persecute the Church, a great light overpowered Saul and he fell to the ground as a voice cried out, “Saul, Saul why persecutes thou me?” (Acts 9:4).

Saul answered, “Who art thou, Lord?”

And the Lord said, “I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.” (Acts 4:5).

For Saul this was a call to repentance and a time of intense learning. One of the first things he learned is that what he thought about God before was wrong. God didn’t want him killing and condemning. God was a God of compassion and love. God doesn’t seek out sinners so he can punish them and make them sorry. Instead God seeks out sinners so he can make them good and happy.

If we remember that one thing, it makes it easier to turn to God in the very moments we feel least worthy to turn to Him. He loves us and is always there ready to help—not condemn us. If we just lift our eyes and look to the light, we, like Saul, will be changed.

2 comments:

Wendi said...

I'm taking a break from mowing the lawn and am eating some lunch. I thought I would read something uplifting on the kids computer while I was taking a break. And, of course, I thought of your blog first. Thank you for this post. I'm so thankful for the chance to change because of the Atonement. :)

Sherrie Mills Johnson said...

Wendi, Thank you so much. You are always so kind. I hope you enjoyed your lunch!