Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Learning Patience

I am learning to quilt in order to teach myself patience. I have never been good at patience and while I love to sew, I tend to do it rather haphazardly. Somehow I've always managed to make things turn out somewhat well. But you can’t piece quilt blocks haphazardly. Each cut, each stitch has to be exact or the next pieces go wrong and don’t work. So I am learning to be patient at each step—to take my time and do it right. It isn’t easy for me. I think running a marathon would be easier, but it is something I need.

It isn’t just my sewing that is characterized by impatience. I do what I’m commanded to do, and then want the blessing yesterday. I have questions and want answers now. I have a lot of trouble waiting and trusting in God’s timetable. I know He is there. I know He loves me, but I want all the answers and blessings right now. But as Alma said, “If ye will nourish the word, yea, nourish the tree as it beginneth to grow, by your faith with great diligence, and with patience, looking forward to the fruit thereof, it shall take root; and behold it shall be a tree springing up unto everlasting life. And because of your diligence and your faith and your patience with the word in nourishing it, that it may take root in you, behold, by and by ye shall pluck the fruit thereof, which is most precious, which is sweet above all that is sweet, and which is white above all that is white, yea, and pure above all that is pure; and ye shall feast upon this fruit even until ye are filled, that ye hunger not, neither shall ye thirst. Then, my brethren, ye shall reap the rewards of your faith, and your diligence, and patience, and long-suffering, waiting for the tree to bring forth fruit unto you” ( Alma 32:41-43).

It’s the “by and by” I don’t like, but it’s the “by and by” I need; so, I’ve taken up quilting to help me learn it. If the quilt turns out—I’ll post a picture. If I don’t post a picture soon it means it didn’t turn out and I had to start over. In other words, I needed MORE patience.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting that you chose quilting to learn patience. It is really about the best example there is, be4cause if you don't have patience, you clearly suffer the consequences. The great thing about quilting, though, if you can control your impatience, is that it will reinforce your sense of anticipation. Sticking to the exact instructions, while picturing the beautiful finished product really helps the ability to be more patient. Thinking about how beautiful it will be or how happy someone will be to receive it kind of makes you want to slow down a bit and make it as perfect as possible. Now if I could translate this ability to all the many other things I am impatient about, I would be in much better shape. I do have a problem with wanting to be done yesterday. Thanks for the post, I look forward to seeing the picture of your quilt. :-)
Cathie

Anissa said...

I read this post yesterday and as I ran this morning I kept thinking about you writing "I think running a marathon would be easier". I really want you to run one and find out! I would LOVE to see what you have to write about that :) Good luck with your quilting. I can't wait to see what it looks like.