Friday, May 7, 2010

Walking West

In the days of Moses the Tabernacle, which was their temple, was always assembled so that it faced East. This means that as the priest entered the temple and proceed he was walking toward the west, or in other words he was following the sun. I’ve always loved that analogy that I, too, should be traveling West or following the light. So for me the phrase “Traveling West” is synonymous with following the path of righteous or following truth and light.

Just recently I began to think that Walking West is a better metaphor. Too often the thing that gets me down is that I feel like I’m not progressing fast enough or that I’m not perfect enough. But the phrase Walking West is what the pioneers did and they did it one step at a time, ten to fifteen miles a day, but eventually they arrived. How silly it would have been to sit down at the Muddy, and start to cry, “I’m not there yet. I’m never going to be there. This is too hard. I can’t do it.” Instead they just kept putting one foot in front of the other. They kept pushing on to the West knowing that if they continued to follow the light they would eventually arrive.

The key is to remember that it doesn’t matter how fast you go. All that matters is that you never turn your back on the sun but constantly walk into it. So I’m going to keep walking West—one step at a time.

Picture: http://miriadna.com/desctopwalls/sky%20&%20clouds/max/Follow%20the%20sun.jpg

4 comments:

Martha said...

beautiful.

Wendi said...

I sure needed to be reminded of this today. I often have a difficult time starting things that I know I should do because it feels too difficult. But if I remember that I only need to do a little bit at a time, things will eventually get done.

Dani said...

Love this one too! and how it relates to the music one!

Annette said...

A perfect thought to start the week. Thank you!