Thursday, October 14, 2010

Refuge!

It is a strange thing to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ in these latter days. I say strange because of the vastly different experiences we encounter. Today I am going to attend a wedding in the temple and in that holy place I will feel absolute peace and serenity. There will be joy and love all around me as family gathers and eternal vows are made. Everything good and beautiful will be there and then I will walk out the door and while I will take much of those feelings with me, I will suddenly find myself bombarded with newspaper headlines and music and the other enmities of the world.


But I like this “strange” and feel so sad for those of the world who never, ever feel the peace and joy—the people who don’t have places of sacred refuge.

2 comments:

Wendi said...

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to go to the temple for awhile now because of my anxiety issues. But just thinking on the times when I've been there in the past brings me feelings of peace. And I'm so thankful for that. :)

Kim said...

This too is "my refuge from the storm." As I attend weekly the temple, I feel as though I conquer the world for another week. And as I partake of the sacrament weekly I know that God is by my side. Thank you.