Friday, May 18, 2012

Life As An Impromptu Actress

I once read a book by a drama teacher in which she described how much impromptu acting taught her about life. I can't remember the name of the book (I wish I could!), but I vividly remember some of the things she taught me.

One was that to be a good impromptu actor you have to deal with the lines the other actors give you. You can't sit down on the stage when someone gives you a line and start to cry saying, "That wasn't a very good line! Why didn't you say something I could respond to better?" Instead you have to accept what is said, and not only make the very most of it but make it into something that the audience will love.

All of us have watched impromptu actors on television or elsewhere and realize how true this is. No one is going to pay money to watch an impromptu comedian whine because they don't like what the other actors are doing. And life is a lot like that! None of us are going to succeed if we whine about what life has handed us.

After all when you stop to think about it, we are all impromptu actors and we all have to take the lines that are given us. That's what Living in Truth is all about. Take what comes and make it into something good!

1 comment:

Wendi said...

This is a good point. Thanks for sharing it. :)