Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Happy Pioneer Day!

Here in Utah it's Pioneer Day which is a state holiday that commemorates the day Brigham Young entered the valley and proclaimed, "This is the right place." At this very moment a huge parade is going on in Salt Lake City, but not being a parade fan I'm here in my air conditioned house enjoying the day.

But for me Pioneer Day isn't just about Utah history, it's an important day in our family history. Forty-three years ago today D2 was born and about two hours before she was born Mr. J received his draft notice telling him that in ten days he was to report to Fort Lewis for basic training. Because of that draft notice I walked into the hospital crying (make that bawling!). When the nurse saw me she said reproachfully, "It can't be that bad!"

"My husband just got drafted," I answered between sobs.

She jumped from her seat at the nurses station, ran around the desk, threw her arms around me, and said, "It's that bad." Less than an hour later D2 was born.

I thought life had ended. It was Vietnam and a cousin I was very close to had been killed in the war and all I could picture was myself a widow with two babies to care for. I went through some terrible times of doubting God and cursing life--creating unnecessary pain for myself. But as it turned out Mr. J was stationed in Germany instead of Vietnam and we got to go with him. I still look back on that year in Germany as one of the most fun and exciting years of my life.

I only wish that I knew then what I know now about Living in Truth. I would have been spared a lot of pain and suffering. That's one of the reasons I love Pioneer Day so much--because it helps me remember that "Everything is as it should be" and that if I (like the early pioneers) just trust in God everything works out fine.

PS - One of the things we are going to do to celebrate Pie-o-neer day is eat Pie. If you've seen the movie "17 Miracles," you'll understand more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I often think of the pioneers when the locust hit. They had worked so hard, and had been so obedient, sacrificed everything to come here, and then be on the brink destruction so suddenly. I can't imagine the pain, fear, and probably doubt they felt, but they hung on to the truth, and kept going. I would love to see their reaction if they could see their beautiful valley now, because of all their wok and sacrifice. We are so blessed, and I am so glad Mr. J's draft worked out so well. That was a terrifying time, and you had plenty of good reason to feel so devastated. I, too, wish I knew then what I know now. The truth tools are wonderful and sure would have made my 20's etc. a lot easier! Have a wonderful day.
Cathie

Wendi said...

I also wish I would have known about Living in Truth earlier in my life! I'm thankful that I'm learning and applying the principles now, though. My sister's husband is in the Army and they are living in Germany as well. However, he was recently deployed to Afghanistan for 10 months. We pray every day for his safety. Happy Pioneer day to you too! :)