Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Count Down!

Of all the times of the year to be going through something like this, this is the best. Everywhere I go are reminders of my Savior. A dear friend gave me the cutest small, Mexican nativity that I have right by my bed so that it sees me safely to sleep and greets me first thing in the morning. It is so much easier to remember that "this too shall pass" when you have all these reminders of the person who makes adversity pass.

I am still laughing. It is getting a little harder, but so many people are helping me. Like my good friend Jill who brought me a picture of a Japanese invention for sleeping while sitting up. In essence it is a hard hat attached to a wall so as you sit under the hat it holds up your head while you sleep. (The picture is very funny!) And I can't even begin to list all the good people who comfort and calm--especially an amazing niece who volunteered to donate her beautiful, long, strawberry-blond hair to make me a wig. I can't believe how willing others are to sacrifice for me. I don't deserve it, but am certainly grateful.

Things start in earnest tomorrow at 2:00 when we do blood work. Tomorrow night we are going to have a family ritual and cut off all my hair. I wanted to donate it to Locks-of-love, but they won't take my chemically treated hair. (Ouch! My secret is out!) It should be a fun evening. I promise to put up a picture of me and Carl with matching hair cuts! Stay tuned!!!

Then Friday I go in at noon for another MRI (I'll soon be familiar enough with the procedure to run the machine. I wonder if those technicians get paid more than professors?) After the MRI they are going to shoot me full of a high dose of steroids to hold down the swelling. (I guess that means I won't be qualified for the New Year's Eve marathon. Shucks! And I thought this was my year to win the thing.)

The surgery will begin about 3:00. Dr. Gaufin will open up the skull, lift up the brain, and make a window into the orbital. Then Dr. Cook will find Grizelda and tell her (kindly, of course) that she needs to move on. We're not sure how she is going to take the news, but Dr. Cook is prepared for any eventuality. He may have to get a little tough on her, but if she refuses to leave we'll call in an oncologist to evict her with radiation. After Dr. Cook is through, Dr Gaufin will close me back up and everyone will go home except me. The procedure will take 3 to 5 hours depending on how stubborn Grizelda is.

At first they told me I'd be in ICU for a day. Now they tell me it will probably be 2 days and then 3 or 4 on the floor. Again, everything depends on Grizelda! But more great news, one of my daughters--the one who is a nurse--flies in tomorrow to be with me at the hospital. How blessed can one person be!

If I'm repeating myself, I have an excuse. I have a tumor in my head. That repetition thing will get worse before it gets better. The doctor warned Carl to be prepared. It seems I'll ask what's for dinner about ten times before dinner and several more times after I've eaten it. Poor Carl! As if I haven't given him enough trouble already.

Thanks again for all your help. Things are going to be fine. I appreciate how you keep reminding me of that!

7 comments:

Heidi said...

Good luck. I will be praying for you and your family.

Wendi said...

I repeat myself a lot too. And I'm way worse after I've been under anesthesia. It's really funny and annoying all at the same time. That's great that your daughter will be there for you. We've been praying for you. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Sherrie,
I love the hat! You will look so fashionable. I will keep in touch as the time goes on. You are number one on our prayer list.
Love,
Rose Wingo

Cathy Bubert said...

Sherrie, As always you are an inspiration! Thank you for your beautiful insights and for your example of faith. Our family is praying for you, your family and your doctors. God bless you Sherrie! Cathy Bubert and family

Anonymous said...

Dear Sherrie, I am so glad I found your blog when I did. I had no idea what you have been going through. Since I've known you since we were little girls, I couldn't let you go through this without expressing my best wishes and sincere prayers for a speedy recovery. It seems you have a wonderful support system and a great attitude which I know will see you through. Just remember you have lots of friends like me who love and value you, that you don't see you very often, but are still in your corner and will keep you constantly in our thoughts and prayers. We'll have a reunion in a couple of years and we will need you there as the fun and fearless leader we have loved all theses years. I hope the spirit of the Lord and sweet spirit of Christmas will bring you comfort and strength as you face the days ahead. Much love, Cathie Gibson Totten

tottencatherine@hotmail.com

Candy said...

Sherrie,
I've loved reading your blog and feeling your great optimistic spirit as you approach the surgery. I'm really hoping that you'll be able to share a few of your thoughts from your pad of paper with your blog fans. We are in your corner! Thanks for being so willing to share this experience with all of us.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sherrie,
We was so glad to hear that you are home for Christmas. We are all so happy to hear about the progress you are making. You have been truly blessed. Thank goodness we have a Heavenly Father that watches over all of us. We are thankful for the birth of His Son and the example he is to us.
Optimism heals. Keep smiling!!!!
Love,
Rose Wingo