Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Loving It!


I’ve received a lot of questions about the short-term memory loss the doctor told me to expect. The main question is how I can keep writing. Yes, I am experiencing short-term memory loss—but not as much as was expected. It is very strange. I think of something to ask the person I’m talking to and by the time they quit talking, I can’t remember the question. I do get up to do something and can’t remember what I am doing. I have to write down when I take my pills because there is no way I can remember that fact.

BUT. . . writing is recording the thought the moment it occurs so it is like writing down where I am going when I think of it so I can execute the instruction after I’ve forgotten the intent. I also have the help of spell checker because I often come to a word and can’t spell it. (But amazingly my fingers can type it even though I can’t tell you how to spell it until I see it!) It is all very perplexing, but I am so thankful I can still write. I’m also constantly amazed at what these bodies are capable of doing!

Today I visited the ophthalmologist (thank goodness for spell checker!) and when he saw I was reading he shook his head and said, “You are a miracle! At the beginning of this, if I had to bet my home on you being able to read at this point, I would have bet against you.”

My hair is prickly. The swelling is almost gone. The black eye went away quickly. The only problem now is that all this sleeping sitting up has caused major pain in my sciatic nerve that shoots all the way done my right leg. Ouch! But I’m not complaining. Come what may, and love it!! The pain means I’m still alive and feeling it!!! You’ve got to love that.

4 comments:

Kellie said...

You are a miracle! I'm so thankful for how well things have gone for you. I feel selfish though because I'm so thankful that you can still write. I don't know what we'd all do without your inspiring posts! I know my life wouldn't be the same without all your daily inspirations. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I have missed reading your blog for a few days, and I am so happy to read that you are doing so well. Your tremendous spirit and love from all who come in contact with you has certainly helped. Thankfully, you will be here for our next reunion. We love you and look forward to seeing you soon. Brent and Diane Schick

Jay Wanless Southwick said...

We're thrilled at the good news!

Wanless & Jerrie

Connie said...

Okay, I lost my comment...so I will start over...you are an amazing woman and a great source of inspiration! Your faith inspires me to have greater faith! As to the short term memory loss...I have that on a daily basis!!! Continuing to keep you in my thoughts and prayers...love and (((hugs)))