Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A Glad Heart


In Lectures on Faith, Joseph Smith explains that in order to have faith we must know what Jesus Christ is like. I think that is one of the main reasons we are encouraged to read scripture—because that is where we get acquainted with our Savior. In scripture we come to know of his love. We read of him inviting the children to come to him (Mark 10). We read of him deciding not to leave when he knows how much the people want him to stay (3 Nephi 17). The references to his healing those in pain and sorrow are too numerous to cite and each tells us a little bit more about how very much he loves us.

Through the scriptures we also learn of his amazing attributes of justness, kindness, power, and mercy. There is no doubt that he is wonderful. But I used to find myself wanting more. I'd never seen an artist's depiction of the Savior with a full-on smile, and yet in my heart I felt certain that he smiles. I wanted to know if he laughs at jokes or if he playfully teases a child just a little. I wanted to know if he winks or if he sings when he is happy. Does he dance? Does he hug? Does he express delight at good food? What does he enjoy?

Then one day I found this quote that answered my questions. Heber C. Kimball said, “I am perfectly satisfied that my Father and my God is a cheerful, pleasant, lively, and good-natured Being. Why? Because I am cheerful, pleasant, lively and good-natured when I have His Spirit. That is one reason why I know; and another is—the Lord said through Joseph Smith, ‘I delight in a glad heart and a cheerful countenance’ (D&C 59: 15).” (JD 4:222.)

Since reading that quote, I've paid close attention to what I think, feel and am when the spirit is with me, and by so doing I’ve come to better know my Savior. Yes, he sings! Yes, he laughs! And I’m positive that at appropriate times he winks to expresses his joy.

3 comments:

Dusty said...

question..what is JD 4:222 ? jewish dictionary? I've never seen that before- but loved your insights of course. I just read a talk Elder Bednar gave in Hawaii that was all about the attributes of Christ, it is a great topic to study. love you Dusty

Wendi said...

I believe JD stands for Journal of Discourses. I could be wrong, though. :)

barnumincamdensc said...

Sherrie,
Laresa told me about your latest trial. My prayers are with you asking for comfort and strength to see you through. As I read your blog, I sense the great strength you already possess and appreciate knowing you and having met you in Camden, SC. That tea party was so fun. I am glad you have such a positive attitude. That alone gives me strength. I am putting your name on the Columbia Temple prayer roll. I know it is probably already there and want to do it anyway. I have great faith in the prayer roll. Laresa gave me your address so I can write you. May Heavenly Father continue to bless you with great strength and faith to endure. Love, your sister, Sue Barnum