I’ve been thinking a lot about gratitude lately. In the past I’ve found myself in that state more often than I care to admit. But the last few years I’ve made it a goal to be more grateful. The difference in life is astonishing. So today I came up with nine symptoms of an ungrateful heart so I can recognize if I start slipping back into a state of ingratitude.
(1) Every day seems like the last one—there is never anything new.
(2) God seems far away and unconcerned with you—recognizing you would be like recognizing one grain of sand on a beach front.
(3) You are apathetic towards other people—after all they don’t care about you so why should you care about them.
(4) Your prayers are shallow and routine—you really don’t have much to pray about.
(5) Your environment is boring—you can’t see anything in it.
(6) Problems seem bigger than they really are—you don’t remember the last time anyone helped you.
(7) You feel alone and uncared for—love is something that only exists in a chic-flick.
(8) You never have enough—no matter how hard you work or try.
(9) You are constantly plagued by a feeling of impending doom—what else could the future hold?
If you can think of more, leave a comment and let us all know. To preserve our spiritual health, we need to be aware of the symptoms! It is also good to know that at the first sign of any of these symptoms all we need to do to be healthy again is give thanks.