Saturday, January 31, 2009

Aloha!

The Hawaiian word aloha is an enthusiastic greeting, but it is also a warm farewell. It is interesting that the same word means both “hello” and “goodbye.” But then again, maybe it isn’t so strange. The older I get the more I realize that every “goodbye” is also a “hello.” When we pass through the door of any stage of life, another door opens. We just have to be willing to go through the door, into the new room, and not look back with so much longing that we fail to see the opportunities that are now ours.

I’m at one of those points in my life right now. Grizelda has changed almost everything in my life from my career path to my daily routine. I can hear a door closing (no make that slamming!) behind me and the light isn’t on in the room I’m entering so that I can see what is in there yet. But while I wait for the light, I’m going to shout, “Aloha! Aloha!” with all the enthusiasm I can muster and let it warm me with the thought that the best is yet to come. “Hello!” to whatever that is!

3 comments:

Wendi said...

I was thinking about transitions and changes in our lives as I was walking to my mom's house yesterday afternoon. I remembered that while the main character in "Fireproof" was waiting for the changes to take place in his life and in his marriage, he continued to live, worship, try different things, and progress. There are a lot of proactive things we can do while we're waiting for the light to come on in the new room we've entered. Thanks for this post. :)

Wendi said...

I was looking back on your blog and remembering that your birthday was coming up. Mine is too. I hope you have another great birthday this year. :)

Sherrie Mills Johnson said...

Wendi, It is true there is lots we can do while waiting, and sometimes the wait is like the one at the doctors office--long and uncomfortable! So you might as well do something while waiting!
And thanks for the birthday wishes. You have a great one, too!