Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Be Happy!

Today I visited a care center where I learned from some wonderful women. We held Relief Society with them and then stayed to visit with them individually. I met a wonderful woman named Helen who is 97 years old and has a much better memory than I do. She astounded me! She is surrounded by people who can no longer carry on intelligent conversations. I'm sure it is a challenge for her and yet she gracefully helped those around her.

I also talked to Jean, who had the most beautiful pure white hair. Jean was in a wheel chair and told me she was from Nebraska and didn’t have much family around here. She wasn’t quite sure how she ended up in Utah.

As we spoke another woman walked by and said to me, “Ask Jean why she is always so happy.” So I did. Jean smiled at me with a twinkle in her eyes and said, “Because I will it so.” Now there is a woman who lives in truth. Jean is a woman who understands that happiness is a choice not a situation.

I’m going to remember Helen and Jean and on days when I’m tempted to feel unhappy, I’m going to think of them and choose to be happy.

8 comments:

Becky Rose said...

oh crap. I've been so depressed for the last few weeks, feeling like there is not much in my life that I like and I'm about ready to cry. I need to get out of it. I'll see if this will help.

Sherrie Mills Johnson said...

Beck, It takes a some effort, but the Truth Tools we've talked about here really work. Try Anchoring or Revising or one of the other Tools and let me know how they work for you.My prayers are with you! xoxoxo

Wendi said...

I love cute older ladies with a twinkle in their eye. That's great advice. :)

Matt C said...

the people in the homes really could bless each of our lives if we just spent more time with them. yes, some are difficult, but some have the most wonderful advice.
-DeAnna

Sherrie Mills Johnson said...

Wendi, They were a lot of fun.

Sherrie Mills Johnson said...

DeAnna, They really are under appreciated, aren't they? Their faith and sense of humor could teach us all something!

Karen said...

I love Jean!! So profound. We all need to be reminded that happiness is, after all, a choice.

Thanks for sharing, and thank you so much for sharing your home with Alyssa and Sterling :)

Hope your week is going good!

Sherrie Mills Johnson said...

Karen, I feel in love with her also. It is amazing how positive people draw you to them. She was probably in her late 80s and yet she was still giving to me!