Monday, May 4, 2009

Ministering Love

Whenever a person goes through something like what I am they hear stories. Many people tell you about their friend or family member who had a similar problem. Most of the time these stories convince me that my problems are very small compared to others. Everyone has trials. Everyone’s life is filled with adversity. No one makes it through life without many, many challenges. Some of those challenges are obvious—health challenges, accidents, disasters. But most of the time we experience private challenges that no one sees and so no one talks about them. Often we have no idea of the burden others carry around.

This has made me realize that we should approach everyone as if they are in some way hurting. In that way we can minister love, concern, and hope to others. We are more ready to forgive and refuse to take offense because we attribute what they say or do to the fact that they are hurting. If by some slim chance they aren’t hurting, they can still benefit from a little love, concern, and hope and we benefit from being compassionate!

Realizing that everyone has some challenge to bear even if we can’t see it also makes us less self-centered. This journey of life is filled with pain for everyone, but helping each other through the pain is one sure way to make our own pain more bearable.

10 comments:

Wendi said...

I read a talk yesterday by Sheri Dew given at BYU Women's Conference last year. It was entitled Awake, Arise, and Come Unto Christ and it reminds me of this post. Here's the link, if you're interested.

Wendi said...

http://ce.byu.edu/cw/womensconference/archive/2008/pdf/sheriDew2008.pdf

Connie said...

You do always hit the nail right on the head! Thanks...I needed this!

Karen said...

So true.

Sherrie, I wish we could have connected while in Provo. I may be out there again in a few months and will try again :)

Thanks for sharing the link Wendi.

Sherrie Mills Johnson said...

Wendi, Thank you.I remember that talk. It was great.

Sherrie Mills Johnson said...

Connie, Thank you! I keep hoping I don't miss the nail and hit my thumb!!!

Sherrie Mills Johnson said...

Karen, I did get you message, but not until Sunday. We were gone. I, too, wish we could have seen you. Be sure and call when you are here again.

Anonymous said...

Good luck tomorrow, Sherrie. I'll be thinking of you in my thoughts and prayers.xoxo
Cathie

Sherrie Mills Johnson said...

Cathie, Thank you so much! It is going to be an interesting experience!

Becky Rose said...

have you heard the quote "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." fit's doesn't it.

Hope things go well. - Becky