Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Good Will


In the Nativity story Luke tells us that the angels sang to the shepherds, “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men” (Luke 2:14). I would have loved to have heard that, but then maybe I did! Maybe I was one of the angels singing. I can’t be sure, but it is a wonderful thought to ponder.

But if I were singing, it would have been different words. From what I have learned about living in Truth and from studying the original Greek text that our King James Bible comes from, I think the proper translation and something closer to what the angels were singing went like this, “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to people of good will.”

In this telestial world peace comes to people who strive to do good and to no one else. So this Christmas season, I am singing (in my heart because no one would like to hear my voice!) my own version of the angels' carol. But more than just singing the words, I am committing to be a woman that wills good.

Sing it with me! “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to people of good will.”


picture by Gustave Dore:http://imagecache5.art.com/p/LRG/17/1734/NXC3D00Z/gustave-dore-huge-host-of-angels-descend-through-the-clouds-in-paradise.jpg

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful thought and very true.!
I will sing it (in my heart) also.
Cathie

Martha said...

I'll sing with you!

Dani said...

I was just thinking that last week at church, I didn't arrive in time to get my usual seat in the front where everyone sings. I sat in the back where no one sings. So I decided to sing a little louder (as I do in the front because all the pretty singers cover my mistakes), and pretty soon I could hear soft voices starting to pick up around me. I must have given others courage with them thinking 'if she isn't afraid to sing with her voice, maybe I should sing too' lol... I like to hear all voices, not just the beautiful, glorious ones (but really each person's voice is beautiful in it's own way!). To me each voice that I hear is saying 'I have a testimony'.