Friday, November 19, 2010

Reflections on My Morning Walk


 At 2:00 this morning D4 arrived from California to spend Thanksgiving in Utah. It is always a treat to have my daughters come, and I am loving it. I waited until she woke up to go walking so that I could walk with her. That made my walk later than usual, and so I noticed things I don’t usually notice. It is surprising how every hour the world looks a little different.

It is overcast here, but warm for a November day. Golden leaves carpet the ground which makes percussion music as we walk. Everywhere I look the world lovingly whispers secrets of God. It makes me think of the scripture, “He will make himself manifest unto all” (Mosiah 27:30).

God wants us to know Him and to know that He cares. This morning I felt that manifestation as I walked, but He reaches out to us in so many ways—not just through nature.  He is always trying to communicate His love to us, but we get so busy we fail to notice all the many ways He is manifesting Himself. Once in a while we need to slow down and pay close attention to the things around us so that we receive the manifestations He is sending. 

And that makes me think of some other scriptures; “For what doth it profit a man if a gift is bestowed upon him, and he receive not the gift? Behold, he rejoices not in that which is given unto him, neither rejoices in him who is the giver of the gift” (D&C 88:33). So “be still and know that(he is) God” (D&C 101:16).

No comments: