Monday, March 11, 2013

Finding Santa in March

I worked so hard Saturday that I forgot to write my blog. Sorry about that, but I have a fun story to tell because of it.

We moved into our home almost fourteen years ago. The week we moved in, BYU called and asked me to teach a class the next semester which began that same week. Needless to say I was a bit frazzled trying to pack up, move, unpack AND get a syllabus ready and lesson plans done so I could  teach. Somehow everything got done, but I'm not sure how. Unpacking went slowly (It took months!) and I only managed to stay one lesson ahead of the students. But I loved it.

However, in the course of that hectic move several things were lost. About six years later I found a box that had some paintings in it that I was very happy to reclaim. Well, part of the busy this last Saturday included cleaning the garage which was long over due for a cleaning. We took a hugh load to DI and filled a garbage can to overflowing and still haven't finished the job. But in going through everything to decide what to keep and what to toss, I opened a garbage sack that had been stuffed high on a shelf behind our old sleeping bags (which we haven't used in fourteen years!) and found a three foot high Santa Claus that D8 had made for me just before we moved. I was so excited I started to cry!

Every Christmas for the last fourteen years I've wished for that cute Santa. I figured that since I had packed it in a black garbage bag someone who was helping us move must have thought it was garbage and had thrown it out. I've felt awful about it, but now I'm rejoicing because I have it back.

I can't believe how happy it has made me and it also made me realize that it isn't just the big things in life that make us happy.  Sometimes very small things can give us a big dose of joy!

1 comment:

Wendi said...

Yay! What a great thing to find. I'm also impressed that you threw so much away while cleaning out your garage. That is something I need to work on. :)