Monday, March 18, 2013

I'm Learning

Yesterday I had one of those interesting moments when Living in Truth saved me. Our ward is doing a Passover Seder this coming Saturday to help us prepare for Easter. While the Passover is traditionally a Jewish festival, God commanded the people to observe it in the book of Exodus which is part of our Old Testament. So to help our ward members understand the significance and why we as Christians are doing it, the bishopric asked me to speak about it in Sacrament meeting. They told me that there would only be two speakers, me and the high councilman so to plan on 20 to 25 minutes. So I did.

Well, I got to the meeting and they had added a speaker. And to make a long story short, I left the high councilman very little time which I feel very bad about. I cut a lot of my talk out, but it wasn't enough. I apologized profusely to the high councilman, but what was done was done. I really did feel bad about it.

Then as I was leaving Church a woman stopped me and said, "I really wanted to hear that high councilman speak today, and then when you went on and on and on." I wasn't sure how to respond to that except to say, "I'm sorry." She had poured salt into an open wound. But could I fix it? No. But I could learn from it.

I pulled out the Truth Tool humor and laughed at myself. I was in the wrong. There was nothing I could do to change it. Other people had noticed and wished I hadn't gone over time. Could I change that? No. So, I had to cry or laugh, and I choose to laugh. What can I say? I make mistakes. I hope I've learned from this one. And I should be thankful this good sister helped me learn my lesson. Bless her little heart!

2 comments:

Wendi said...

I'll bet there were many people who were thankful for what they learned from your talk. It's too bad the compliments don't happen as readily as the criticism. Those kinds of situations are so hard. You were told one thing and then were expected to change it at the last minute. I'm glad you chose to laugh instead of cry. I hope you have a good week. :)

6L's said...

I'm sure others appreciated what you had to say. :)
I'm impressed you were able to cut out a lot of your talk. I have my talks timed and I'm not a good deviator, I always read my words straight from the paper, as I get too nervous up there! Good to be able to laugh at yourself, good job following your own advice. *pat on back*