Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Present In the Present

As I’ve gone through the battle with Grizelda, one of the things that has helped me most is to stay in the present moment. Thinking ahead about what might happen or dwelling on the past as to all the good things I can no longer do only causes vexation. Those thoughts generate negative feelings such as fear, worry, stress and self-pity. 

But there is great peace and even joy when I am able to keep myself in the present moment and reminding myself that all I need to do is, “Do what’s right, right now.” That’s all that matters. The present moment is the only one that we have any control over. It is the moment we are to live in, to take advantage of, to use wisely.

 In times of adversity, it can be a constant battle to push away the “I-wish-I-weren’t-here-doing-this” or the “this-shouldn’t-be-happening-to-me” or worse the "God has abandoned me" thoughts. But it is worth the effort to push them away. These negative thoughts only send us deep into the Pit of Illusion. And the problem with the Pit is that while there, we are on our own. 

The Spirit works and abides in the present moment. If we want the help of the Spirit, then, we need to stay where He is. We need to be present in the present.  Living in Truth means living in the present where we will always find, hope, peace, love, and gratitude--all of the things we need in order to help us through times of adversity.

2 comments:

SuSu said...

So true. I love the precious present. It really is a gift.

Anonymous said...

It has taken me awhile to really learn to keep myself in the present, and not fret and grieve over what has been lost. The result has been being able to really live with a peaceful and grateful heart. I am grateful for the things I have been able to do at any point in my life, and I really feel grateful and look forward to the future, whatever it holds. I still set goals, but have a better attitude about accepting Heavenly Father's will and living my life where it takes me, instead of being upset or angry that it isn't always the way I choose. Your posts have been so helpful in learning the skills of staying in the truth and present, and staying out of the Pit of Illusion. It's not always easy, but definitely worth the effort. Thank you again for sharing all your wisdom, it has helped so much.
Cathie