Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Beauty of Bible Words



One of the reasons I love the scriptures so much is because of the words used in scripture. The meaning of those words is, of course, wonderful, but the simple music and poetry of the words is also beautiful. Take for example this verse that describes the feeling of utter dejection:
“I am poured out like water, 
and all my bones are out of joint: 
my heart is like wax;
it is melted in the midst of my bowels”
(Psalms 21:14).

          Read that verse out loud and listen to the rhythmic cadence of the syllables. Read it again and listen to the sounds that flow around and through the vowels.  Read it again and pay attention to the beautiful metaphors. We’ve all been in dire circumstances when we feel like we are being poured out like water. We can relate to that phrase, and it sinks deeper into our hearts than the statement, “I feel horrible.” 

          But it isn’t just the Psalms or Proverbs in which beautiful language communicates heavenly and human thoughts and feelings so beautifully. The scriptures are full of exquisite language and sometimes we need to stop and savor the music of the words as well as the meaning.

          God has given us many things not only for our instruction, but for our pleasure. So today I'm celebrating the delight of the words He has given us.

No comments: