Monday, February 27, 2012

Words of Power

I’ve been doing a lot of experimenting lately with words and the power they have. I’ve written about that before, but the more attention I pay to the words I use, the more convinced and amazed I am with their power. You don’t need to take my word for it. Stop right now and say out loud, “I can’t do it” about ten times. Then stop and pay close attention to what you are feeling inside you. After noting your feelings, say out loud, again about ten times, “I can do it.” And again stop and pay close attention to what you are feeling.

If you are like me, the feelings after the first exercise are depressing. I feel deflated, helpless, victimized, fearful, and just plain low. But just by changing the words the feelings change to hope, encouragement, empowerment and excitement. Did you feel a difference? Let me know what happened when you did this. I’d really like to know.

I think I’m going to go around all day today just saying, “I can do it!” Whatever “it” is, I know it will be done better and with more enjoyment accompanied by those words. Words do have power!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is so amazing how our own words affect so much how we feel. Good exercise to see how powerful our own words are in our attitudes and actions. Thanks!