Thursday, May 26, 2011

This Minute is Yours!


I’m still thinking about my father. (See yesterday.)
He was a man of many sayings and yesterday and today they keep running through my head.

One of his favorites was, “Today is the first day of the rest of your life.”
When I was young, that saying used to bug me.
Of course it’s the first day of the rest of your life! Duh!

But I’ve learned the wisdom behind the statement and I no longer scoff.
Today is a new day. It is a beginning, but only if we let it be so.
If we are harbor past mistakes or past experiences or past grief,
we bring that past into today and that makes today not a beginning
but a continuation of all we are vexing over.

When we live in Truth we realize that there is nothing we can do about changing the past,
 and so we let go of it. We let God take care of the past while we concentrate on the present.
 Yes, we remember what we have learned from the past,
but we don’t dwell on it and fret over it.
Fretting not only causes us Unnecessary Pain,
it takes up our time and energy and keeps us from living today.
Vexing over the past keeps us from using the new day to start new.

So rejoice!
This minute is the first minute of the rest of your life.
Make it a really good minute!

No comments: