Monday, November 28, 2011

The Best Part of Christmas

The last few years I’ve been an absolute Scrooge when it comes to decorating for Christmas. I haven’t even wanted to put up a tree and when I finally did it it was with great reluctance. It wasn't fun at all--it was torture. But this year I found myself excited to do it. The difference? My son, his wife and children are temporarily living with us while they buy a new home. That means my almost 4 and almost 2 year-old grandchildren were here to help me decorate. But it wasn’t the help that motivated me. It was knowing they would bring the magic. And they did!


Saturday night we put up the tree and all the other decorations. After we put the limbs on the tree my grandson, Cash, left the room for a few minutes. When he came back, Mr. J had the lights on the tree. When he saw the lights, Cash stopped in the doorway, his eyes opened wide in wonder and a joyous grin stretched across his face. “It’s Christmas!” he said. That one look captured all the magic of Christmas and made all the work worth it.

I realize now that what I’ve been missing the last few years is children. Those of you who still have children and are stressing because they undecorate the tree as fast as you put things back on it, be grateful. I‘ve discovered that’s the best part of Christmas--watching the children enjoy it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So true, so true! The magic of Christmas really is in our children and grandchildren. What is so great is that we can carry that magic in our hearts all year long. I hope your magic is restored, and you have a wonderful holiday with wonderful memories to go with it!
Cathie