Saturday, November 19, 2011

Tradition!

Those of us here in Utah Valley woke up to a white world. It snowed last night covering trees, bushes, dirt, roads, cars, and rooftops with beautiful white snow. I love the first snow. I love it so much that years ago I started a tradition in the family that when the first snow that sticks to the ground falls I make cinnamon rolls. So guess what I'll be doing today? I can't wait.

Traditions are wonderful. Look at these definitions of the word tradition. (1) The handing down of information, beliefs, and customs by word of mouth or by example from one generation to another without written instruction. (2) cultural continuity in social attitudes, customs, and institutions. Traditions are powerful ways to teach and to instill joy in your family. They give children (and me!) things to look forward to and anticipate. In short, traditions are wonderful.

We are coming into the holiday season when everyone has holiday traditions, but I'm curious. What traditions do you have that aren't part of a holiday? Leave a comment and share with us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I was a kid, my grandma told us at the very first snow, run out a catch a snowflake on your tongue and you will have good luck all winter long. We loved it, and I taught my children that. It was good fun, and always a race to get out the door to be the first one to catch that special flake. Shopko did it on a commercial a few years ago, and I was surprised how many people commented on how they didn't get it, because there are no words during it. Just a little boy running out the door, catching a snowflake and smiling. It's a silly tradition, but was lots of fun, and it always reminded me of my grandma.
I've never asked my kids what it reminds them of, but I hope it is good feelings as they pass it down to their kids.
Cathie