Monday, March 21, 2011

"Life's Not Fair!"

Every parent knows that one of a child’s favorite cries is, “This isn’t fair!” But the cry is not reserved for children. At some time or other in our adult lives all of us have been tempted to cry out, 
“It isn’t fair!” And to our logical minds it often seems that way. Bad people win prestigious prizes, succeed in their careers, gain wealth, and have good health while good people struggle to earn a living, fall victim to diseases, and suffer all kinds of afflictions. 

Not fair? 

From this side of eternity it often appears that way, but the prophet Abinadi explained that  “The time shall come when . . . 
every nation, kindred, tongue, and people shall see eye to eye 
and shall confess before God that his judgments are just” (Mosiah 16:1).

At times when I’m seeing life as not fair this verse helps me. I realize that there must be more, something I don’t yet see, that God from His side of Eternity knows and understands and that eventually everyone, including me, will know and understand. Life will be fair. And so when I’m tempted to give up and cry “Foul!” 
I hang on knowing that someday I will confess it was fair, so why not just trust and do it now!

No comments: