Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Ways to Find "Whatsoever is True"

I love the King James Bible, which is celebrating its 400th birthday this year. But I also learn a lot by comparing the KJV translations with modern translations. My favorite is the New International Version, but there are many other good ones out there. My two favorite web sites to find other translations are Biblestudytools.com and Studylight.org. On both sites you can type in a scripture and then pick which version of the Bible you want to look at and it will bring the verse up.

This morning in my personal study I read these verses from the KJV and then looked them up in the NIV. 

KJV Philippians 4:8: “Whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just,  whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.” 

NIV Philippians 4:8: “You’ll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious-the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse.”  

From there I went to the 13th Article of Faith and read, “We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.”

While the KJV is clear and beautiful, reading it in modern language solidifies and deepens the meaning for me. It helps me see things in new light, and by pondering on all of these I learn more about what it means to 
Live in Truth.


P.S.   HAPPY 85TH BIRTHDAY TO MY WONDERFUL MOM! 
(I don't think she ever gets on here, but just in case!)

No comments: