Thursday, March 24, 2011

Hurray for Family!

I grew up in the hey-day of the feminist movement and the ERA. I heard all the talk about women and careers and rights and equality. I heard famous women bad mouthing women who stayed home and baked cookies. I heard it all but I’m so glad I didn’t listen to it all. Granted there were some major steps forward that I’m glad were accomplished for women. There were major problems such as unequal pay and prejudice in the job market. Some of those things still need to be better. But at the same time some of the things advocated were detrimental to women and I’ve lived long enough now that I’ve seen some things unfold and unravel. 

For one thing, I am so grateful that I had a large family. My children bring me so much joy and happiness and I ache for friends and others who opted to not have children or to not have many because of the demeaning rhetoric coming from the feminist movement. Yes, children can break your heart. Yes, they are expensive. Yes, they make mistakes. But anything in life that is worthwhile has its opposition and heartaches. Nothing good comes easy.

At this stage of life, with the rearing and raising behind me, I can honestly say that motherhood is one of the most enduring and fantastic joys of life. I love watching my children serve each other. I love seeing how they love and pray for one another. I love how even though they are scattered around the world they stay in contact with each other and support each other. I feel like John who said, “I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth” (3 John 1:4).

No comments: