Monday, April 19, 2010

A Book Recommendation

I (finally) got around to changing the Words of Encouragement on the left of my blog. I know I was long over due, but the short message now there is powerful and comes from the amazing book Light in the Wilderness: Explorations in the Spiritual Life by M. Catherine Thomas.

Cathy and I shared an office for a couple of semesters when she was teaching religion at BYU part-time, and so I know from experience what an amazing woman she is. She taught full time in the religion department at BYU, then retired, has gone on several missions with her husband, and once in awhile returns for a semester to teach part-time. I grew to love her and I cherish all I learned from her. I can't recommend this book highly enough.

Light in the Wilderness is not a quick read. Instead it is a book that you will read paragraph at a time and then ponder. It is beautifully written and packed with insights and encouragement on gospel living and how to draw closer to Jesus Christ.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This looks like an excellent book! Thanks for sharing!

My most recent blog post has some gospel insights of my own that I've gained recently...

http://kissthecamera.blogspot.com

xoxo, Emily

suemax said...

I think I have read mostly all that Sister Thomas has written, and when I first read this book, I thought- "This is her masterpiece."
I have read it 6 times, underlined, and marked pages with sticky notes. It is just a treasure chest of wonderful quotes, scriptures, poetry, doctrine, practical ideas, and is written so beautifully. I use it as a guideline with my scriptures. It takes you through the process of going from the Natural Man to the Spiritual Man and on to exaltation. There really is deep doctrine in it and I now see even more deeply as I read my scriptures. I love this book! Sue Maxwell ( it is now available through digitalegend.com/catalogue, as well as LDS bookstores, including the BYU bookstore.