Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Seeing

I’ve been experimenting with some new contact lenses the past two weeks. I tried bifocal lenses a few years ago and they didn’t work for me at all. But the last time I went into the eye doctor, he told me about a brand new bifocal contact and asked if I wanted to try it. It works in a strange way. The lens that covers the pupil of the eye is divided like a target with the center circle focused for reading, the next circle for midrange activity like working on a computer, and the outer circle for seeing into the distance. The theory is that the brain will adapt to seeing through the proper circle.

At first it didn’t work too well, but as I continued to wear them things began to come into focus better. Because of my astigmatism, things aren’t sharp and clear, but I can see better than I’ve been able to for years and I can read with the same contacts. So wonderful.

But while adjusting to the contacts I’ve been thinking about how so often what I “see” in life is slightly out of focus and what a difference that makes in my perception and understanding. I don’t have the ability to see everything in life completely and clearly. Sometimes I don't even know which circle to look through. I’m not sure it is possible to see everything perfectly here in mortality, and so instead of depending on my own vision, I need to trust in God’s vision for me. He is the one who has everything in focus. He is the one who sees clearly. He is the one who know which circle to look through at what time. And besides being able to see it all, He loves me and wants me to be happy. If I can just keep contact with Him, He will lead me.

2 comments:

Wendi said...

I love how you find gospel symbolism in daily life. And I'm glad you found some contacts that work well for you now. :)

Anonymous said...

I love this Sherrie, because it is so true. Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees. It's a great post, thanks!!
Cathie