Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Danger!

There is a danger in growing up in the gospel that we need to be aware of or it can hurt us. The thing that causes this danger is that when we hear something over and over we stop hearing it at all.

For example: We all know that we are children of God. We have heard the words and sung the song and know “I am a child of God.” But we have heard this so much that when these words are sung or spoken we no longer comprehend them—we don’t think about what the words mean. The words float over us like an unnoticed summer breeze without any concept being associated with them. Instead of thinking about the majesty and wonder and magnificence of the statement, we think, “I know. I’ve already learned that one. You don’t need to tell me again!”

This takes us back to Living in Truth. When we live in Truth we deal with the now and what is presently before us. That means that when the statement “I am a child of God” is presented to us we have an opportunity to think about that truth. It is an opportunity to let light into our souls by contemplating what it really means to be a child of God, to be immortally God’s offspring, to inherit “genetic” qualities from Heavenly Parents that will allow us to someday be like Them.

When we Live in Truth, we open our hearts and minds to the beauty of truth in any given moment (even if we have heard it a thousand times before) and let that beauty encourage, enliven, expand, and nourish our souls.

2 comments:

Dani said...

That is one of my favorite songs. But I too have quit 'feeling' when I sing or hear it, most of the time. But I need to 'know' it, 'feel' it, and 'believe' it. When I can focus on truth, I feel so much braver and stronger.

Wendi said...

I love learning more about Living in Truth. Thanks for sharing this. :)