Thursday, June 17, 2010

Pods for Peas

One of my favorite scriptures is found in Moses 6:63 where we are told: “And behold, all things have their likeness, and all things are created and made to bear record of me, both things which are temporal, and things which are spiritual; things which are in the heavens above, and things which are on the earth, and things which are in the earth, and things which are under the earth, both above and beneath: all things bear record of me.” Because of this verse I walk through my days looking at the things around me and pondering on what they teach me about Jesus Christ and often am delighted at the things I discover.

Just this morning I was thinking about how things in nature are made in a way that gives them the best possibility of growing to their full potential. Seeds come in protective pods; fawns are born with spotted coats so predators won’t detect them among the shadows of the tress; and chameleons change colors to blend with their surroundings. Everywhere you look in nature you find that just the right color, just the right size, just the right attribute is given to things to help them do what they are supposed to do.

And if everything else is just right for what it is supposed to do, why not me? While I don’t have spots, or a protective pod, when I analyze my life closely I realize that I have been given just the right talents, just the right attributes, and just the right assets to help me and the people I am responsible for find security, happiness, and peace in life.

Next time I see a pea in a pod, I’m going to appreciate that pod more and remember that God has also given me what is best for me!

1 comment:

Debra Tolman said...

Hi Sherrie

I am so happy to have found your blog. I spoke with you some time ago about a presentation you had given at a CES Conference about the miracles of Christ. How I loved your analysis and insights. You told me then you may write a book; I still hope that will happen!

I was stunned to read about your recent journey. What lessons you have learned; thank you for sharing those things.

My husband and I are currently serving a CES mission in Samoa teaching Institute. Your blog has given me a touch of home. Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts and insights; thank you for a lifetime of study.

Deb Tolman