Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Sunburned

Yesterday we worked in the yard all afternoon pulling weeds and planting flowers. I thought I was working in the shade most of the time, but somehow managed to get sun burned. I had on Capri pants and with one leg being in a black boot up to my knee because of the stress fractures, I now have one very red leg from the knee down and one very white leg. I look so funny.

But it has reminded me of what an amazing thing our bodies are. Through them we feel, smell, hear, see, and taste. In other words this body connects me to the world around me. I got a large thorn stuck in my index finger that I had to dig out last night, and today I can barely tell where it was. Last night it hurt. Today it doesn’t hurt. Yes, I took the thorn out, but other than that I did nothing to make the wound heal but my body knew what to do. It went to work immediately to stop the bleeding, fight off infection, and close up the wound covering it over to make it look good as new. And in a few days the sunburn won't even hurt. These bodies are amazing.

Without me telling it to my heart keeps on beating. My lungs keep on breathing. My other organs keep on functioning and I’m not doing anything to make it happen. When I start to get uptight or vexed about something I think about this body and how it works and realize that if God can keep my body going, He can also keep my life going. I need to trust Him more. I need to relax and let Him direct my life like He does my body. If I do that “all things will work together for [my] good” (D&C 90:24).

1 comment:

Wendi said...

Thanks for sharing this perspective. :)