Monday, August 9, 2010

Hyacinth Bucket

I love Hyacinth Bucket. For those of you who have not yet met Hyacinth click here and enjoy. For those of you who know Hyacinth, (you are already chuckling!) you know that she illustrates for all of us the absurdity of some of the things we do. We see the truth about ourselves in Hyacinth, and we see it in a way that makes us laugh at ourselves. She illuminates the ridiculous within us and makes us want to be more sincere and real in our own lives.

Most of all Hyacinth allows us to laugh at life. She takes life so seriously that we are forced to see how absurd that is. Instead we take a step back, look at life with new eyes, and laugh at what we see.

Humor is one of the most powerful of the Truth Tools and we all need to hone our skills at using it. It can take the edge off many a negative experience and can literally eject us out of the Pit of Illusion. Learning to see humor in the situations of life is powerful. A friend going through some bad times once said to me, "I know I'll laugh about the incongruities in this situation when I think about it later, so why not laugh now." Another friend recently said to me, "I'm beginning to realize that my life is just one big joke." And she meant that in a very positive way as she laughed about some odd things in her life that others would cry about.

But there is one more thing Hyacinth does that I love. She creates her own reality. She does it to the point of the ridiculous, but by doing it she illustrates for all of us that we too create own own reality. We have the power to make our lives whatever we want to make of them. No one forces a reality upon us. Instead, by the way we look at the things that happen to us, we create reality.

So, here's to Hyacinth! We learn from her faults and we learn from her strengths. And because of all she's taught me, I love her.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Hyacinth and all her flowery named sisters. I think she would like you to point out that it's pronounced "bouquet" instead of bucket.

Bea said...

She drives me crazy with her ways, but I always watch. BUT I adore Onslow :o)